The transformation from the Stratosphere to The Strat is finally complete. The multi-year overhaul of the casino and resort started in 2018. Much of the work to the property was visible throughout the year. The culmination of the renovation was marked by a star-studded celebration in mid-January 2020.
The current owner of The Strat, Golden Entertainment, recently completed over $100 million in renovations at The Strat. The iconic Las Vegas casino is now known by the name of “The STRAT Hotel, Casino & SkyPod.” The Strat has also launched an entirely new website with a new URL: www.TheStrat.com.
“With this comprehensive renovation of The STRAT, we are introducing a new era for the iconic Las Vegas Strip hotel and casino,” said Blake L. Sartini, chief executive officer of Golden Entertainment. “This includes elevated design, restaurants, bars, entertainment, rooms and a new Observation Deck, all accentuated by custom art installations created by talented local artists,”
Renovations at The Strat
The Strat renovation begins before you even walk into the property. The exterior of the casino-hotel has a new look. The exterior now delivers a striking new arrival for guests. Features include new landscape architecture at the main entrance and surrounding the property.
Additionally, there’s new exterior signage on the tower and at the porte cochere. There’s a new LED display that can change for holidays and special events. There’s another new LED screen showcasing vibrant video content to passers-by.
The Strat’s New Casino Floor
One of the largest tasks to refresh The Strat is the new casino floor. The renovation includes a full remodel of the entire 80,000-square-foot casino. The Strat now offers 750 slot machines and 44 table games including a new Baccarat pit on the casino floor.
The new casino floor improves sightlines and traffic flow. This should enhance the overall guest experience. The Strat casino has been completely transformed. From the carpet to décor, the colors were inspired by the sky, sun, stars, and moon with shades of blue and amber.
Other new features on the casino floor at The Strat include directional signage, a full redesign of the hotel registration area, and a video wall behind the box office. The signs in a casino are more important than many of us realize. It’s often difficult to navigate the Las Vegas casinos without good signage.
The centerpiece to several new art installations on the main casino floor is “Ebb & Flow.” This striking arrival piece inside the main entrance of The Strat. The 104” x 255” sculpture by Manny Avila and the Blue Tree Group resembles two gold pieces of ribbon, intertwined, and is an expression of the city’s indisputable artistic talent, expressed by this piece that demonstrates balance and support.
New Hotel Rooms At The Strat
The hotel rooms were also a large part of the remodel of The Strat. Additional room renovations are complete. Now that the property-wide renovations are complete, 574 of the total 2,427 rooms are now part of The Strat’s new Elevate series.
The new room category showcases a modern contemporary design. These rooms offer amenities for modern technological needs. The rooms include a 55-inch television with accessible HDMI ports, a custom entertainment console, and complimentary Wi-Fi.
The Elevate series rooms have new beds and other furnishings, including areas for lounging and workspaces. In total, The Strat has remodeled nearly 1,000 rooms with the recent introduction of the Elite room series and remodeled Grand and mini-suites.
Celebrating The Strat
The official transition to the iconic property’s new identity took place on January 22 with a party hosted by rock icon, Sammy Hagar. Guy Fieri, Rick Springfield and Governor Steve Sisolak also joined the party.
Hagar toasted The Strat and a new spirits partnership with Golden Entertainment. Celebratory beverages included the introduction of signature cocktails made with his premium spirits, Santo Tequila Blanco, Santo Mezquila and Sammy’s Beach Bar Rum at Remix Lounge. Hagar even hopped behind the bar where he served drinks for an hour.
Previous Renovations and Additions at The Strat
- The Observation Deck: The indoor level of the two-story Observation Deck has new venues and a new look. Additions include 108 Drinks and 108 Eats.
- Top of The World: The remodel Top of the World includes new carpet, striking new tables and furniture, and top-of-the-line place settings. The new menu introduces a new take on steaks and seafood.
- BLVD & MAIN Taphouse: This new bar and restaurant is located on the main casino floor near the main entrance next to the View Lounge. An LED wall is customizable for multiple sporting events, one sporting event, or for special events. Growlers bring tap quality beer direct to tables.
- William Hill Sportsbook: The William Hill Sports Book features the latest betting technology, a spacious setting with VIP booths and seating for 88, and a 110-foot wraparound high-resolution LED screen along with 12 additional HDTVs.
- Celestia: Celestia is a tour de force of acrobatics, technology, artistry, and imagination. The show takes place in a one-of-a-kind 30,000-square-foot theatrical tent located along the Las Vegas Strip.
- STRAT Café: The new 24-hour STRAT Café serves elevated comfort cuisine. They offer variety including classics such as country fried steak and eggs to an Asian-inspired menu.
- REMIX Lounge: The new lounge is located on the main casino floor. REMIX Lounge serves up signature cocktails and hosts live music with bands performing 80s and 90s favorites, every weekend.
- View Lounge: Overlooking the energy of the William Hill Sports Book and main casino floor, the stylish View Lounge offers craft cocktails, small bites, HDTVs for sports viewing and a prime view for people watching.
Marc Meltzer covers Las Vegas, gaming and men’s lifestyle for various outlets. Check out his blog at Edge Vegas.