If you haven’t been to the Stratosphere in a while you’re in for a surprise. Earlier this year the “Stratosphere, Casino, Hotel & Tower” became “The STRAT Hotel, Casino and SkyPod.” Most people already called this tall casino The Strat so the name change shouldn’t be much of a shock. However, the name is just one part of this transformation.
The change from the Stratosphere to The Strat actually started in 2018. Take a look:
- June 2018: The Strat introduced a new Baccarat gaming pit with six tables.
- August 2018: The Strat unveiled the “Elevate” room series. These rooms are a complete remodel of 311 rooms with new décor, furniture, and amenities.
- September 2018: The Strat introduced a new menu at its 360-degree rotating restaurant, Top of the World. They now focus on steaks and seafood complemented by fresh, seasonal ingredients. They also introduced a new menu of craft cocktails and a new wine list with nearly 300 selections of hard-to-find, boutique selections.
- November 2018: The Strat opened the new 4,465-square-foot Strat Café & Wok, a 24-hour restaurant offering elevated comfort cuisine.
- December 2018: The Strat finalized a full remodel of Top of the World, complete with new tables, reupholstered furniture and top-of-the-line place settings. They also opened 108 Eats by James Trees, located on the 108th floor on the Observation Deck.
The upgrades and renovations continued into this year with the introduction of BLVD & Main Taphouse; View Lounge, which offers a full bar and signature cocktails with views of the casino floor; and the newly remodeled William Hill Race and Sports book in the northwest corner of the main casino floor. The Strat also remodeled the indoor and outdoor Observation Decks on floors 108 and 109, respectively.
“The Stratosphere is a Las Vegas icon, so in acquiring the property we chose to preserve that quality while also re-imagining the resort through a comprehensive remodel that spans from the tower to the main casino floor,” said Steve Arcana, executive vice president and chief operating officer of Golden Entertainment. “We have developed a new brand that speaks to the fun and excitement of this grand transformation and we are thrilled to announce The STRAT.”
What’s A SkyPod?
The SkyPod part of The Strat name is just a reference to the attractions at the top of the tower. All together SkyPod includes the following:
- Top of the World, located on the 106th floor
- 107 SkyLounge, located on the 107th floor
- The Observation Deck
- 108 Eats by James Trees, located on the 108th floor
- 108 Drinks, located on the 108th floor
- Thrill rides and attractions, located at the top of the tower, including Sky Jump, Big Shot, Insanity, and X-Scream.
But wait, there’s more
The Strat recently opened a new show in a tent outside of the casino called Celestia. The transformation continues with more upgrades on the casino floor. This is all part of a three-year renovation that has turned the Stratosphere into The Strat.
The Strat has been reinvented and looks much nicer but you never forget that you’re in the Stratosphere.
Marc Meltzer covers Las Vegas, gaming and men’s lifestyle for various outlets. Check out his blog at Edge Vegas.
When I visited Bellagio for
We say this pretty often,
Hopefully, everyone who gambles when
Las Vegas continues to return
Las Vegas casinos and attractions